Monday, May 08, 2006

Gut-wrenching, Powerful and Respectful

United 93 was the hardest movie I've ever had to sit through. But would I recommend seeing it? Absolutely. The title of this post is taken from an imdb.com review and it is exactly how I feel about the movie.

I haven't been able to watch anything related to September 11th since it happened. I never had any interest in seeing it over and over again and hearing so many people's versions of what happened. I just couldn't sit through it, it was too painful for me. And when I heard that the movie was being made I had mixed feelings. Part of me wanted to see it so I could know what probably happened on that flight. But the other part of me thought that it was much too soon to see something like that. When it was released in theaters I heard so many positive reviews and how the families of the victims were happy to see the story out there. I think that's what made me see it, the fact that the families saw it and were grateful that their loved ones stories were being told.

It was the quietest movie I've been to in a while. The audience hardly made a noise throughout the entire showing. And when it ended, the silence was still there. All you heard were quiet sniffles as you exited. And David and I didn't say a thing to each other, just held each other's hands as we left. Such a powerful movie and regardless of how you feel about seeing events portrayed from Sept. 11th, I think eventually everyone should make a point of seeing this movie.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree - GREAT MOVIE!!!

    I think everyone needs to see this movie (if not in the theater then on DVD at home). I have actually watched all the movies on tv and read the reports on the events of 9/11 and I think this was done the best.

    They did not go over the top showing you actual footage of the day – they did things very classy. They bring in the passengers families and show conversatation – but it is not the focal point. They talk about the other flights and other parts of the country – but again it is not the focal point of the movie.

    You have even more respect for passengers and what they did that day.

    I think the greatest thing that comes out of what the passengers did was almost set precedent that never again will something like this happen. I do not think another plane will ever successfully be hijacked again. Passengers will stand up to hijackers every time and prevent anything of this magnitude from happening again.

    I think that will be their lasting legacy for years

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still not sure if I can see it. After walking through martial law for a month after Sept 11 just to get to work, I cant handle much of it. We shall see...maybe I will wait til its on DVD where I can watch it at home.

    ReplyDelete