Monday, July 30, 2007

a small recap

The weekend came and went and I only have one regret, that it didn't last longer. My dad and I came away from this with a lot of memories to cherish. We didn't "do" very much but we spent a lot of one on one time together and that's all I wanted.

Saturday was a gorgeous day so we spent most of it in the pool and hot tub. We talked about sooo much and I learned even more about where my father and his family came from. (I had no idea that my great grandfather's sister died of malnutrition. One more reason to be thankful for what I have today.) I also learned that my dad has a LOT of regrets in his life and that makes me sad. To know that he is constantly thinking of these things and it's really effecting him inside is painful for me. But I guess it's good that he recognizes it. He feels awful for what my mom, sister and I had to go through and he apologized for it. And while I was happy to hear those words, it's never fun to watch a loved one suffer.

On Sunday we tried to soak in as much time as we could before I left. Which meant that I got out of bed a little after 8am. Which kind of sucked because the day before, my dad and I consumed quite a bit of vodka ;) But we had 5 good hours to spend with each other and when it was time for me to go, neither of us were happy. I spent the first hour of the car ride home in a funk. But that's a good sign. Just proved that I had a great weekend and I didn't want it to end

We vowed that these kinds of weekends would happen more often. That we would spend more one on one time together. I'm trying to keep my hope up that it will be true but in the meantime, I'm just happy that my dad and I were able to bond so well this past weekend. It is truly going to help our relationship in the long run and that's all I want.

3 comments:

  1. Glad it went well. I had one on one time with my dad for a few hours yesterday. He lives 15 minutes from me and its rare for us to spend time together too. Cherish it. I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to do this. It's huge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. L that's so awesome! I'm glad you all had fun and some real time together. I think it speaks volumes about you two :)

    ReplyDelete