I was a huge Flyers fan when I was in high school and college. In particular, a Rod Brind'Amour fan. Fan is an understatement, I was obsessed. I loved this guy. I went to so many Flyers games because my stepmother had connections with someone with season tickets that could rarely go on weeknight games. So, I basically got them all. My first big purchase ever as a teenager was a Brind'Amour jersey. The best way to spend $100 for me back then. The highlight of this part of my life was getting to meet Brind'Amour at their annual Flyers Wives Carnival. I got to sit next to him for a photo op. (this pic actually made it into an ad for the next years carnival, so it was actually published!) I was speechless sitting next to him but so incredibly happy that my thigh was touching his, even if it was only for about a minute or two. And of course my mother found some way to embarass me in my moment of glory. As I got up to leave my mother screamed "It's her birthday!" I turned to him completely embarrased and he wished me a happy birthday. I was mortified at that moment but as we were leaving I kept saying "he said happy birthday to me!!!". Hell, I still get excited about that now.As the college years went on, I watched less and less hockey and then in 2000 he got traded to the Carolina Hurricanes and I was pissed so I never really watched the Flyers again. I haven't watched a hockey game in a while and I've only occasionally looked to see how Brind'Amour has been doing. I have to admit, I didn't realize they were in the playoffs until about a week ago. Then I found out that they were going to game 7 with the Sabres to fight for the Eastern Conference. So, I watched last night. I wanted to cheer him on in the hopes that he would make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. It was such an incredible game. I forgot how much I enjoy a good hockey game. I screamed and cheered the whole time. They won, and guess who got the game winning goal? Yep, none other than MY Brind'Amour :)
So, anyway...I just wanted to give a little tribute to my favorite player whom I've neglected for many, many years. And I'll definitely be watching the Finals next week in the hopes of seeing Brind'Amour win his first Stanley Cup!
We watched the game too! With my brother living here, it was impossible not to. However, we were excited they won, despite being from NY. Exciting!
ReplyDeleteOne of the bridesmaids from Meg's wedding is the daughter of s Hurricanes coach so I am a quasi-fan of the Hurricanes. SO cool that they won!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWhat is this hockey that you talk about??
ReplyDeleteActually, watching you go crazy last night was fun - you were probably almost as crazy as I am when I am watching Yankee playoff games ;)
6 MONTHS!!! :)