Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Work hard…….not that hard!

I feel like I’m being punished for working too hard. I’ve gotten so many e-mails recently from my manager telling me that I have the highest number out of our whole team. Now, I would see that as a good thing. But I keep getting told that I should pass work off to others on my team so that they have more to do. Even though these are the areas that I am responsible for, not them. I personally thrive when I have a lot to do on a specific deadline. So, it hasn’t phased me at all that I do a lot in a week. Not to toot my own horn but I’m good at what I do and there is never a complaint about my work from those I send it out to. And I never complain about the workload. I know it’s more than others because I track it now but who cares? If I can get it done and it’s good work, then I shouldn’t have to pass it off.

I’ve worked on these areas for years. So, they are my own, my babies. I have a system down and I love it. Now, since others don’t have work to do, apparently that’s my fault and I have to pass things off just so that they can get something done and not twiddle their thumbs all day. It’s so hard for me to pass things off, it makes it look like I can’t handle it. And it’s the complete opposite. I can handle it, but I’m forced to hand work off so that everyone can have and equal workload.

Sorry for the vent but I work my ass off for these areas, and I make them my own. And now since there are others that don’t have as much to do in their own areas, I have to sacrifice the look of my areas so that they can have something to do. Ok, that may be a little harsh but I'm just so irritated right now.

1 comment:

  1. Every year on my assessment I get dinged for not delegating. Apparently delegating shows leadership. But having personal pride in work does not?!?? I always argue. And I always lose. I've just now started to build up a team of people who's work is as good or better than mine to pass off to - its still hard to hand over something that you see as yours...

    ReplyDelete