Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I could kick myself!!

David called me today bringing up a very good point. If the Social Security office has me down as my new, married name and my W-2 has me down as my old name we are going to have problems.

So, as soon as I got off the phone with him I called HR in the hopes that the W-2's didn't go out yet and that my name could still be changed. Nope, W-2's went out in the mail today, nothing I can do.

The reason I want to kick myself is because I got my new SS card last week, or even the week before and I had the name change form for work on my desk this entire time. Could have faxed everything over last week and I wouldn't be in this crappy ass boat!

Now David is frantically running around his office in the hopes that someone knows how to get around this without losing a bunch of money. We figure someone from that office should know about this, one would hope!

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

3 comments:

  1. I didnt have a problem when I submitted my taxes the first year we were married. The SS office has a record of your maiden name and you will always be ties to it as well. SO no biggie....you use your married name from this point out but some of your W-2s will have your maiden name for this past year. No problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks...yeah I did some reading after I posted this...apparently it's a big problem if it's reversed. If you didn't change your name with SS and your W2 has your new name.

    So, hopefully all will go smoothly.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never even considered that it would be a problem (shows how naive I was!). That and the 5 dollars and hour I was making 20 hours a week while in school wasn't high on the IRS's hit list. :)

    Good luck - I don't think it should be too big a deal...

    ReplyDelete