Music is a big part of my life. I’ve neglected it for a while but I’m trying to change that and make more time for it again. Last night started the change and I had a mini freak out because I couldn’t find one of my all time favorite CD’s. So, that has lead me to post about some of my favorite artists that maybe some of you have never heard of. I tend to go for music that is far from mainstream or at least is a track that you never hear on the radio. So here goes…
1) Guster - I could go on and on about this band. I started listening to them when I was still in high school, thanks to my sister. I've seen them about 5 times in concert and they are amazing. I even met them a couple times and I'm pretty sure that the first time one of them was ready to call security on me but hell, that's what a fan is supposed to be like. Their sound has changed over the years but even with their growing sound I still love them. I had to include 2 tracks here because you HAVE to hear the amazing Brian "thundergod" Rosenworcel on bongos.
Careful (more recent)
Demons (vintage…with bongos!)
CDs to check out: Goldfly, Parachute, Lost and Gone Forever
2) Beth Orton - I was introduced to her music by a friend in college and I’ve probably listened to her CD’s thousands of times. She’s not for everyone but to me she is such a great songwriter and singer.
Click on the song titled ‘Stolen Car’. In my opinion the video doesn’t do much for the song so minimize it and just listen J
CDs to check out: Trailer Park, Central Reservation
3) Jude – I first heard him when he opened up for Guster in Rochester when I was still at RIT. Quite a character this guy is and it’s completely evident in his music. I’ve never heard a style like his before and I love it! Here’s just a small taste. Great road trip music to sing along to (takes a while to learn all the lyrics though!)
You Mama You
CD to check out: No One’s Really Beautiful
4) Jason Mraz – I have loved almost everything I have heard from him. Such a unique sound and incredible lyrics. I am particularly fond of his live album and to me, this song is one of his bests.
Unfold
CD to check out: Tonight, Not Again: Jason Mraz Live at the Eagles Ballroom
Enjoy…and if you have time, do this on your blog and tell me about it. I love to hear new music. Leave a comment and I’ll check out your blog!
Dude - I love Beth Orton - I just Amazon'd her! Thanks so much for intro!
ReplyDeleteI am not musically inclined or I'd let you in on my favs - really just Ben Harper right now and They Might Be Giants' ABC cd :)
So happy that I could introduce you to her :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I love Ben Harper! We made sure that one was played at our wedding. Don't know if you caught that one or not!
And I've heard such great things about TMBG's kids CD's...maybe we'll have you burn them for us when the time comes :)