Monday, February 28, 2011

why must I torture myself?

Google is a terrible place to lurk when an infertility procedure is looming for me.

I wasn't too worried about my test on Wednesday until I read some horror stories on the good ol' world wide web over the weekend.  Now, I realize that there are so many negative stories because who wants to comment on message boards for a procedure they just had that went well with no pain involved?  Not many.  Still, I spent part of my precious weekend reading entries from women who have had this test and well, here are some excerpts...

"I was bedridden for three days."
"… but the pain ….. so severe I became nauseas and fainted."
"It was excruciating"

"do not ever get one of these tests…it is not worth the risk!"
"I've had 2 of these. The first was fine, not too painful – just a little crampy.  The second one was a f****** nightmare!"


and the best one:
"OMG. The. worst. pain. ever.
I don't want to scare anyone, but I was expecting this to be much easier than the HSG, which I only found mildly uncomfortable. It was HORRIBLE. It hurt from start to finish and by the time he was done I was shaking from the pain."


That last one really stuck with me because I had the HSG done and had the same reaction to it as her. It wasn't that bad for me.  And I've heard that the one I'm having on Wednesday is supposed to be less painful than the HSG.  Apparently, you never know. I'm not sitting here panicking or anything because I know that this board isn't a balanced view of what the procedure is like but I just wish I didn't see the worst case scenarios.

I hate that all these tests I'm having lately are ones that are different for everyone and you don't know how you will react until you go through it.  It's super frustrating and it makes the paranoid hypochondriac in me scream!

2 comments:

  1. Geesh I like her disclaimer-like that's a good way to start a comment. Between that and Trip advisor I'm tellin' you what people like to tell you how it is don't they? Good luck, let me know how it goes. I'll be thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's normal to be worried before any medical procedure. They could tell me it feels like laying in a pool of rose petals, and I'd be worried that they would make me sneeze. Just the nature of the beast, I suppose. I have an awesome nurse that talks to me through the procedure, and that helps. I have friends though, here in "real life", who have worn headphones with relaxing music on during it. As my nurse informed me, they are continually improving techniques.

    ReplyDelete