Wednesday, November 07, 2007

a teeny tiny vent: update!

I feel like my entire life is revolving around one thing lately. In fact, I know it's revolving around one thing. Chewy has taken over our lives. And I'm really not complaining, I just wish his transition into our house was smoother.

The poor thing gets so anxious when we leave the room, and it's exponentially worse when we leave the house. I feel like I've read every article on separation anxiety and have contemplated buying every pill, drop, collar, etc. I just want the little guy to get better.

He honestly is the sweetest, most loving dog in the world. And I guess you could say that's his problem. He's too needy. All he wants to do is please you and when you leave, his whole world crumbles. It's heartbreaking.

We still have a few tricks up our sleeves to try and alleviate his anxiety so we aren't giving up. Although, I have to admit, there have been a few times I've broken down thinking that we just can't do this. My driving force is David right now. He's my strength. He's the one that keeps reminding me that we can in fact do it and it hasn't even been 2 weeks with him yet.

So, I'm trying my best to be optimistic because the last thing I want to do is give up this dog. He deserves the world and we are going to do whatever it takes to make sure he knows that this is in fact his home forever.

I just think things would be much easier if my work and home routines weren't flipped upside down at the same time! Just trying to roll with it as best I can.

Update!

So, I spoke with one of Chewy's former fosters on the phone tonight and she had some very encouraging things to say. We discussed him and his antics for about 20 minutes and I really got a sense of how much this dog is loved by so many people. There are a ton of people at the rescue that would love to have Chewy in their family. It really makes me feel blessed that he's with us. It really could be worse, he's the sweetest most loveable dog, just gets a little upset when we leave. Hopefully in time he will realize that we always come back. I'm a million times more optimistic than I was earlier today!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry it's not going smoothly. I hope one of your tricks does the trick! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try this- It's called the Tug a Jug
    http://www.animalbehaviorassociates.com/toys-tug-a-jug.htm

    We got it for Keeda and it keeps her occupied when we leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are great with pugs so CHewy will start feeling better soon...I am sure of it. And this is great training for when you have babies with seperation anxiety!!! :)

    ReplyDelete