Thursday, January 26, 2006

Es tevi mīlu

My grandfather has been in the hospital for a few days. A couple of days ago he apparently collapsed in the bathroom and slammed his head against the tub. I'm not sure how but his head is completely fine. There are, however, other problems. They diagnosed him with pnemonia and are now conducting tests to see why his calcium level and white blood cell count are so high. He is also showing signs of dementia but the nurses think that's because of the medicine they are giving him. Regardless, it was incredibly hard for my mom and grandmother to see him that way. Wondering where he was at some moments and then the next minute being completely fine.

The part that scares me is that the doctor asked him if he had ever been exposed to asbestos. They are also looking into the possibility that he has bone cancer. Ughh, I hate the C word. My one grandmother died of cancer, my sister had a scare last summer, my living grandmother had breast cancer and my dad has had skin cancer. So, anytime I hear that word I get chills. But everything is up in the air now. My mom is keeping me up to date with phone calls but I expect not to hear any real updates for a few days.

Now, I must say, no one in my family is very fond of my grandfather. I know it sounds horrible but he has treated my grandmother like a slave. He hardly ever talks to my mother and when he does, it's basically just insults. I won't go into detail but there are definitely good reasons why many of us keep our distance from him. But all that aside, I found myself incredibly upset last night after hearing the news that it may be cancer and the fact that he is showing signs of dementia. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, especially family. So, no matter how we feel about him when he's healthy, we are all so worried and are trying to think happy thoughts that he recovers soon.

Honestly, though, this situation has just made me realize even more how strong a woman my grandmother is. I have never met someone who is as much of a rock as she is. She has been through so much in her life and I never hear her complain. She amazes me everyday and I'm so thankful for her.

I just felt like I needed to share. It's been on my mind constantly and just typing this out is helping me get through it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about you. I hope he does get better, and that it isn't cancer. (big hug)

    How did the video go yesterday? I didn't get to mine. Was busy looking for a new job. (Exciting!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lina--I know this is hard and how you feel. Let me know when you want some of that retail therapy. My step-grandmother is showing signs of dementia or ALzheimer's lately (didnt know who Brian was and told my dad that my grandfather was in the hospital when he was in fact at work). Its really hard, I know.
    -Jaime-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it.

    And Jaime, I know how the Alzheimer thing goes, it's so very sad. My step-grandmother has had Alzheimers for years. She's hardly ever at my dad and stepmom's when I'm there now but when she used to be, I had to introduce her to David every 10 minutes or so. Such a sad disease.

    And Becky, send me an e-mail so I know what address you are using now. So, we can keep up to date on losing weight together!

    ReplyDelete