Tuesday, August 07, 2012

pride


I am extremely proud to be an American.  How could I not be?  If it weren't for Ellis Island I wouldn't be here right now.  My parents came to this country as children.  My grandparents wanted a better life for them so they did what they could which meant leaving family and belongings behind and came to a country that they knew nothing about.

So, yes, I am a very proud American and I don't for one second take for granted how blessed I am.  However, because I've grown up being so immersed in the culture of my ancestors (I spent every Sunday as a child at a church where I didn't understand what anyone was saying),  I am also proud of the rest of my heritage. Latvia and Lithuania will forever be a part of who I am and will always hold a special place in my heart. 

It's one of the reasons I love the Olympics so much.  I love seeing the US win medals but who doesn't love an underdog story?  Latvia and Lithuania are always underdogs.  No one knows who they are, where the countries are located and they can never pronounce their names. When they do well my heart swells.  These tiny countries that only gained independence in the early 1990's don't usually have much of a chance in most sports.  They do have their moments, though and when that happens I find myself cheering my heart out for them.

So far, in the London games, a 15 year old Lithuanian won a gold medal in swimming.  A wrestler won bronze.  Yesterday, Lithuania beat Tunisia and are now in the quarterfinals for basketball.  Last night I watched the Latvian beach volleyball team beat the US to advance to the semi-finals and got chills.  It's not that I want the US to lose, I just love to see these little Baltic countries that are a part of my soul do well and get a little recognition.

Here's to all 3 countries finishing these Olympics strong.  I'm going to be sad when the games are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment