Thursday, August 10, 2006

Where I came from...

Since doing this get to know you stuff at work, it's actually made me think more about where I came from. My grandmother left her native country to flee communism and to make a better life for her children. I gathered a few old photos to be included in the presentation because I would not be me without the incredibly strong women in my life. My grandmother is the toughest, most hardworking person I know. To think of all she went through in her life exhausts me. This is exactly why I try not to take anything for granted in life. Some days when I'm driving home from work and I pull up to the house I want to cry. I am so very thankful to be able to live like this. And none of it would be possible if my grandmother hadn't packed up and left her whole family behind so that she could start fresh in a free country.

I spoke with my mother the other day about the pictures above and she shared some things with me that I didn't know about when they came over through Ellis Island in 1951. My mother was 3 years old. They were in a camp in Germany for 3 years, waiting for a ship to take them to NY. They were on a boat, men separated from women and children, for over a week. They spent a week at Ellis Island because they didn't understand the Americanized version of their last name when it was called to go through the processing part. In the meantime, while they were there my mom and uncle would attend classes at Ellis Island to start to learn English.

I find out more and more in tiny bits as the years go by. My grandmother never talks about it. It's too painful for her. But my mom offers up information occasionally. Honestly, I wouldn't want to talk about it either. I can't imagine the strength it must take to leave your home (and family) behind and head to a country where you don't speak the language and know no one.

So, this post is dedicated to one of the most wonderful woman I know, she means the world to me and it's such a great feeling to hear that she considers me her best friend.

Don't worry, be happy Vecmom.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you have this family information as a resource. My grandparents apparently came over through Ellis as kids, but they died when I was only about 10, so I would have to do some serious digging to uncover anything about them.

    I'm always glad to see people who are proud of their heritage and recognize the sacrifice previous generations made in order for us to be proud Americans today.

    - kb

    ReplyDelete