Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I'm an idiot.

Yesterday I completed week 1 of C25K. Whoo hoo!

About a quarter of the way through, I passed this little old lady sitting on a rock.  I looked up to smile at her and saw that she was cheering me on.  I can only imagine that the reason she put on this display was because she saw a fat girl trying to lose some weight. "Yay for getting your fat ass off the couch!" is what I pictured her thinking as she cheered and gave me a thumbs up.  She was very sweet.

Not too long after that, during one of the minute and a half walks, I noticed that there was a man walking his dog in front of me. He was also on his cell phone. How was I going to pass him? I couldn't do my fake cough to alert him I was coming up behind him, like I did earlier with a couple that was taking up the whole path. As I was contemplating how I would pass him, suddenly my ankle completely rolled and I was thrown to the ground. I'm sure it was the complete opposite of graceful. Dude with the dog turned around, looked at me on the ground and continued on his walk. Didn't ask me if I was ok or anything. Nice.

I fell while walking. WALKING. Who does that? I was so consumed with the "how will I pass him" thoughts that I didn't realize I was drifting to the edge of the sidewalk. An edge that was not lined with grass, nope, the ground was about 4 inches below the sidewalk. So, only part of my foot stayed on the sidewalk and my bad ankle (fell off a horse when I was younger and wrecked it) couldn't handle the force and collapsed. My leg took the brunt of the fall.

pretty huh?
I texted David that picture as I was sitting there composing myself making sure my ankle was ok.  I sent it to him and said "um, oops".   He texted back a funny emoticon with very large eyeballs and asked if I wanted him to pick me up.  My response was:

"Nope.  Shook it off.  Knee hurts and pants are rubbing up against the open wound but I'm f*cking doing this!"

And I did.  I still had half of the workout to complete and I did it. As I finished, my app told me that I had earned the determination badge.

Yes, it gives out badges.  I originally thought this was silly
but it feels so good when you earn one!

How appropriate for the mess I had just gone through.  I'm very proud of myself for not quitting and finishing strong and apparently, so was my app.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! What a bruise. But good for you for finishing. I totally understand falling while walking. I once completely tore open my knee while WALKING MY BIKE DOWN A HILL. Yes, I had already determined it was too dangerous to bike it, yet still managed to fall and hurt myself. So, yeah, I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, falling down with a bike doesn't sound fun at all. But I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who can injure themselves with the simple act of walking :)

      Delete