Wednesday, April 18, 2007

the good and the bad

Ok, so good news is the patio is finished. Bad news, it's not what we had discussed with the company. It was supposed to run flush with the ground. We even asked the guy "will it be raised at all?" he said no. So, to our surprise we walked out in the backyard when they had completed it and saw that our border was now wood. There was NO discussion about having this and the contractor explained that it was the only way they could do it. Fine but when you have a mock that was approved by an HOA and you change it you should let us know first. In the beginning the guy mentioned that he didn't see any info on the sheet about "timbers" so I assumed he would go with what was written down. Nope.

Just once I would like to be wholeheartedly happy with a job that a contractor does for us. I'm getting really tired of this and now I have a deck and a patio that I don't love.

Now don't get me wrong the guys yesterday worked their butts off to get the job done in one day and the pavers look amazing. The only thing we aren't happy with is all the wood. And not just that, but they don't run flush together at one point so it looks like a shoddy job. And the piece they put on the left side to raise it is all ripped up on one side.

So, here are the before and after pics, click on them to get a bigger view.



David didn't sign the paper that basically states "if you are happy with the job please sign". He will be speaking with our salesman about this and hopefully it can get resolved so that in the end we will both be happy with it. Because honestly, if we are going to be spending that kind of money the job should look perfect.

Not the kind of mood I thought I would be in today.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry sweetie. It sucks when a job doesnt turn out how you imagined it. It doesnt look bad though. Maybe they can stain the wood to blend with the paver stones so that it doesnt really stand out.

    Yoda looks like he likes the new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh!! I'm sorry to hear that....maybe you can convince them to play to have groundwork done around the wood that lifts the dirt level up and hey-get them to lay those grass patches at the same time! Good for you guys for not signing off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls...it just sucks to spend sooo much money and have it turn out completely under your expectations. I'm hoping they will do everything they can to make us happy. Considering this is no where near what we had discussed.

    And yes, Yoda seemed to be a fan of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this is why it took us 2 years to remodel our house. We had some contractor issues in the beginning and from then on Ken decided to do everything else ourselves. For the money it costs to have someone else do the work - I don't understand why they can't do it right! So vent away!

    Other than the wood though - the pavers look awesome! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete