Tuesday, July 11, 2006

my life with a sleepwalker...

So, it happened again last night. Most of you may not know this but David is a sleepwalker. It doesn't happen as often as it used to (or that I am aware of), but when it does, it is scary but quite humorous at the same time.

I was awakened by David coming back into bed at 1:30am. He informed me that he had just taken a shower. Turns out that he was sleepwalking and woke up halfway through. And this wasn't the first time he had done this.

Over the years, David has had some memorable sleepwalking stories. Or I guess I should say, I have them since he doesn't remember the completely obscure ones. The first one happened when we were still in Rochester. Probably only weeks into our relationship I woke up to see David basically tiptoeing around the room. I asked him what he was doing and received no answer. He then walked over to the halogen lamp and turned it on and looked at me and said "you can only see them with the lights on." Umm, excuse me? Totally freaked me out and I really thought he was joking. But nope, I asked him about it the next day and he had zero recollection of it.

A couple of years ago I tried to keep a pad of paper next to the bed so that I could write down the crazy things he did at night. But that rarely worked because when I would get woken up I'd be so pissed I just tried to get David back to bed as quickly as possible and stop searching for spiders under the bed or looking in the closet for who knows what. Actually, those kinds of things are fine if you compare it to the night I was awakened to David on top of me shaking me asking if I was ok. Yeah, that was a great start to the morning!

But it seems that I am getting used to him getting up in the middle of the night because I hardly wake up until after it's over. I am an extremely light sleeper so it doesn't take much to wake me. Until now...seems I have trained myself to not wake up if David gets up in the middle of the night. So, now I get blamed for not stopping lets say, late night showers before they start.

1 comment: