Three and a half hours doesn't seem like it's that far but it really is. You can't just go up for a night to hang out, or go out to dinner on a moments notice.
We are both extremely close with our families and this weekend it was just a harsh reminder that we are so far removed from them now. David got upset because a lot of his younger cousins don't really know who he is. That's the complete opposite of what he's used to. And he was genuinely hurt.
We both know that we can't move anytime soon. David's job is incredibly secure and he'd be stupid to leave it. Me, I'm not so attached to my job but that doesn't really matter because it's not like I'm going to move up there by myself :)
We just want to be able to be there for our nephew and have him really know who his godparents are. And on the flip side, we want our future children to really have a close relationship with the rest of our family. Maybe someday we'll make it back up there. That's what we both would like eventually but then there's the other hand, we love being so close to so many friends. If we moved back up there we really wouldn't have any friends to hang out with.
Just one more thing throwing our life upside down right now.
But on a happier note, David and I are now officially godparents. We love that little guy to pieces!
That picture is so sweet. You guys are awesome and we would be so sad to see you guys leave NoVA. Anytime you need family time, just head over to our house. I know we are the bio-family but just know that B and I consider you our family. LOVE YA!
ReplyDeleteThat is an incredibly sweet picture. The oh my god i love this baby-ness is just pouring out of both of you :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I do get the emotional turmoil of friends/family. It's hard.