No seriously, this is a big deal. I've
never run on a treadmill before. That's not true. I did once, for
about 10 seconds and that was only at the running store where I found
out that I over-pronate. Anyway, because of this lack of experience I
was terrified to go to the gym for the first time.
I waited until after dinner last night because I wanted the crowds
to clear out. I don't need to look like the newbie in front of a packed
gym. This way, if I fell on my face or tripped up, only a handful of
people would see me. I could deal with that. I made my way to the gym
at 9pm. As I left the house I told David that I should have taken a
Xanax, but then realized that would just ensure falling off the
treadmill. You may be thinking that I'm overly dramatic. I'm not. I
just get super worked up before doing something for the first time, even
if that thing will end up being simple. My mind only goes to all the
bad things that could happen, all the worst case scenarios and I quickly
become paralyzed with fear.
I knew this treadmill fear was irrational even as the butterflies
flew around in my stomach on the way out of the locker room. As I made
my way upstairs I was delighted to see that most of the treadmills were
vacant. I picked one by the window and stepped on the sides, to ensure
that even if I pressed the wrong button, I wouldn't fly off the back of
it. As I looked at the screen I realized that I was being stupid.
Really, really stupid. It couldn't have been more clear how to use the
machine and I began to feel like an idiot for getting so worked up.
This is how the scenario usually ends. Another ridiculous example...it happened to me the first time I
used Metro. So nervous that I wouldn't know what to do or where to go
and after I rode it the first time I wanted to kick myself for being such
a chicken.
Moving on...I wanted to get used to the machine so I walked on it
for about 3 or 4 minutes before starting my couch25k workout. Just
wanted to get my bearings. Once I felt like I was comfortable up there,
I started Week 5 Day 3. I've been easing back into running since I
went 6 weeks without doing anything. Sat on my butt and gained weight.
That's what I did. That doesn't matter now, though. I'm back on WW
and lost over 3 pounds my first week back in the groove. I ran for the
first time since the 5k this past Saturday. It was a beautiful
afternoon and as I started running I could feel my body say 'thank
you'. It felt so good to be out there again. I chose week 5 day 1
because I didn't want to push it and I'm glad I started where I did. I
was pretty beat after the 5 minute, 6, minute and another 5 minute run.
But last night I wanted to try a little longer of a run since I was
going to be doing the whole workout on a flat surface, hence the jump to
week 5 day 3. As I finished up the 8 minute run and the voice in my
app told me to slow down and walk I didn't want to. I still had a
bundle of energy left. Long story short, I was supposed to run for 8
minutes, walk for 5 and run another 8. I ran the whole thing... 21
minutes, which is essentially a week 7 workout. Whoo hoo! It felt
awesome and I was so proud of myself.
Grant it, I was running
pretty slowly but that's only because I wanted to be sure I was
comfortable on the treadmill. That is probably why I was able to run
the whole thing but regardless...I ran and I felt great.
What I wasn't prepared for was my sea legs as I left the treadmill. I nearly fell down because my legs were jelly and I felt like I was bouncing. I quickly made it over to the stretching area, sat down and let out a huge sigh of relief.
First day is done and I can't wait to go back.
Yay Lina! That's awesome! Treadmills are terrifying!! The first time at the gym is so hard but you did it! Can you get a tour of they gym so you can learn how to use everything? My gym does that and I think if they didn't I probably wouldn't use half the stuff cause it's scarey!
ReplyDelete