Our neighbor passed away yesterday. The same one we had helped when he was lying in the road, having a seizure, almost a year ago to the day. He and his wife are about the same age as David and me. We knew he had a brain tumor but I don't think David nor I knew how bad it was. Obviously. A neighbor knocked on our door last night to tell us the news. Apparently, his wife had a list of neighbors she wanted to tell of her husband's passing. She was inviting us to his funeral service later this week.
Now, we were not super close with these neighbors although we easily could have been had they lived one or two houses away. I'm sure of it. We just never saw them because they were on the complete opposite side of our street. I find myself regretting not getting to know them both better as a couple, while we had the chance.
Life is too damn short and this reminds me that everything can change in an instant. Your life can be flipped upside down with no warning. I'm just finding this news incredibly difficult. I'm surprised by how much it is affecting me. You see, he leaves behind his wife and their child, not even a year old yet. I just can't even imagine the level of pain she must be feeling right now. To lose your husband in your 30s?! I want to run over there and throw my arms around her and let her know that if she ever needs something not to hesitate to call me or come over. But that's weird, because we aren't close. I'm still trying to find the best way to let her know that she can come to me whenever she needs something. I'm sure she has tons of people already offering that but one more person can't hurt.
We'll be heading to his funeral service on Thursday with a bunch of other neighbors from our street. I'm not looking forward to it but I want to go so that she knows she has so much support surrounding her should she need it.
No matter what you are going through be happy in knowing that at least you are going through something. It means you're still alive. Now go hug your husband/wife/child/mother/father/boyfriend/girlfriend/dog/cat/self.
Oh my word how sad! I would say in 3-4 weeks drop her a note. I'm told that's when family adn friends "go back to their lives" while the grieving person is still trying to deal with everythign. Might be nice to get even a note. So very sad....
ReplyDelete