
I think I'm starting to finally see a positive in my parents getting divorced. It's taken almost 20 years (jeez, it's been 20 years since my parents split, wow...didn't realize that until I typed it) but I'm starting to see the silver lining.
My dad and I have started to have father/daughter weekends. This past weekend was the second one. We spent all day Saturday in the woods of Pennsylvania near where I grew up. The weather was perfect and so was the company. We hiked, talked, took photos, laughed and I couldn't have asked for more.
We didn't really have a great relationship when I was younger because truth be told, he wasn't around much. But that's changing now. Our relationship isn't perfect but I don't expect it to be perfect. This is something that takes time but I'm just so grateful that my dad truly wants to spend as much of that time with me as he can. I can't tell you how good that feels.
Part of this weekend was also spent trying to help my dad learn his new camera and not be afraid of it. So, while hiking in a wildflower preserve I helped him learn what all those fancy buttons do on his camera. My dad used to photograph all the time when he was younger, but that was film and digital is just so different for him. It's great that we have a love of taking pictures to share with each other. It's just one more thing that's helping us bond. And it did bring a smile to my face watching him be a photographer this weekend.

I also loved being back home during such a beautiful fall weekend. I absolutely love that area and it makes me sad to think I'll never move back there. There are just so many great spots that I miss. But at least I'll always have pictures to take away with me after I visit.


I'm so happy you got to do this!
ReplyDelete